The three actions you can take today to fight climate change
According to the world's leading scientists, we have 12 years to cut emissions in half to prevent catastrophic climate change impacts later this century. To reach this ambitious goal, we need to act together with all of us doing our part.
At WWF, we take our carbon footprint seriously. Like individuals, WWF's greenhouse gas emissions come primarily from three sources: how we power our offices, how we travel to work and for work, and the food we consume for work functions and how much of it we waste. We are taking steps to address each and looking to do more.
3 Actions You Can Take to Fight Climate Change
- Pledge to Do More. Just like WWF, your impact on climate change primarily comes from: what you eat, how you power your homes and mobile devices, and how you travel from place to place. The average US citizen emits 20 tons of greenhouse gas emissions per year due primarily to these activities. (This is ten times the emissions from the average person in India, for example.) Can you commit to cutting your carbon footprint as we do the same?
You can commit to reducing your carbon footprint by taking a hard look at the electricity you use, how you get from place to place, and the footprint of your food.
Sign the pledge nowh
- Encourage Businesses to Join the Movement. Companies are the world's largest energy users. With that comes enormous opportunity—and responsibility. Energy for electricity production and industrial uses is the cause of nearly half of the world's global greenhouse gas emissions. And well over two-thirds of that delivered electricity is for commercial and industrial users. So, shifting the behavior of companies is fundamental to the clean energy transition and to reducing emissions on the scale needed to fight global climate change.
Companies who are serious about climate change should:
- Set science-based target for their full carbon footprint;
- Commit to powering their operations with renewable energy; and
- Tackle emissions from their supply chains by working with their suppliers.
Know a company we should reach out to join the We Are Still In coalition? With over 3,500 signatories, We Are Still In is the largest US coalition ever assembled in support of climate action. Email us and we'll touch base with them to develop a plan and see how they can positively contribute to fighting climate change and join the We Are Still In movement.
Email us nowh
- Tell Congress: We Need a 100% Clean Energy Economy. Our climate is changing around us faster than predicted, but it's not too late to change course. To limit warming to 1.5° C, we must take swift action—including building a more comprehensive climate policy.
A newly introduced bill in Congress would set the United States' economy on a path to 100 percent clean energy by 2050. Ask your Member of Congress to cosponsor the 100% Clean Economy Act of 2019.
Contact Congress nowh